What should you look out for when choosing wheelchairs?
1. Weight of wheelchair – Lightweight aluminum or steel wheelchair
- A lighter aluminum wheelchair will be easier to bring around than a heavier steel wheelchair
2. Wheelchair or Pushchair
- You will require wheelchairs with big wheels if you can wheel yourself around
- A pushchair, which has small wheels, is lighter and more suitable if there is someone to push you around
3. Arm-rests and foot-rests that are fixed or can be removed
- Wheelchairs parts that can be removed allow you to push the arm-rest and foot-rest to the side for an easier transfer from the wheelchair to a normal chair or bed.
- The wider the wheelchair, the harder it is to push it through narrow spaces like doorways.
- Seat that is too wide for you may lead to bad posture.
5. Cost of wheelchairs
Notes on Safety and Handling
- Remember to lock the wheels before getting out or into the wheelchair
- Lift up the foot-rests before getting off the wheelchair